Deadline: April 30, 2022 (midnight)
For assistance please call Iris Avivi 02-6586932 or email email@example.com
The Israel Institute for Advanced Studies (IIAS) hereby invites all full professors (current or emeriti) at Israeli research institutions to nominate candidates for the Michael Bruno Memorial Award for mid-career scholars in STEM fields.
The 2022 Michael Bruno Memorial Awards
The Michael Bruno Memorial Awards are granted annually to three outstanding mid-career Israeli scholars who have demonstrated an exceptional originality of mind, dedication and ground-breaking impact in their research, and who have managed to influence and re-shape their field of expertise. These awards, a personal prize in an amount of 200,000 NIS, are the highest recognition of past accomplishments, but they are also a vote of confidence in the laureates’ future achievements and contributions to research and to Israeli academia.
As of 2022 the awards will alternate each year between STEM scholars and scholars in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Law. Thus, the 2022 award will be granted to STEM scholars, and the following year award will be granted to scholars in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Law.
April 30, 2022 Deadline for submission of the nomination application (The system will be open for submission from February 15, 2022 onwards)
October 30, 2022 Announcement of the 2022 Bruno Award laureates
January 2023 Academic Symposium in collaboration with the laureates
Who can nominate Bruno candidates?
The nominator must be a full professor or professor emeritus from any Israeli research institution. Each nominator may nominate only one candidate. No self-nominations will be accepted. Candidates should not be informed of their nomination.
Eligible candidates must be faculty members of STEM fields in Israeli research institutions who are under 50 years of age as of February 15, 2022 or up to 15 years after their first University appointment.
Nomination process Submit a Nomination
The nomination deadline is April 30, 2022 and the form is to be submitted online.
The nomination form and all attached materials must be in English.
In the online form, the nominator is asked to enter the following details:
- The candidate’s personal information: full name, date of birth, affiliation
- Short description of your reasons for nominating the candidate (maximum 150 words)
- Description of your relationship to the candidate, including comments pertaining to any potential conflicts of interest
- A list of the candidate's three most important publications
- Indication of the h-index
- A list of 4 international experts in the candidate’s field and their contact information
In addition to the above, the nominator is required to provide the following documents (pdf format):
- The candidate’s professional CV and a full list of publications
- A letter written by the nominator recommending the candidate, and stressing the candidate’s impact on his/her research field and unique contributions
- A letter from an additional faculty member in Israel (need not be a full professor but must be from a different academic institution than the nominator)
- PDFs of the candidate’s three most important publications (indicated in the online form). If one of this publications is a book, one representative chapter from the book will suffice.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The selection process
The selection is carried out in two stages. At the first stage, the list of candidates will be narrowed to a shortlist. At the second stage, each candidate on the shortlist will be evaluated with the help of external referees.
The candidates are selected by an external selection committee of renowned scholars (3-5 people) in the relevant fields. The decision of the selection committee will then be passed to the approval of the IIAS Board of Directors, before being announced officially.
The selected laureates and their nominators will be personally informed. A general announcement will be sent to all nominators via email.
Questions may be directed to Ms. Shira Barak, IIAS Secretary, at firstname.lastname@example.org