[RG #97] Law and Pluralism
March 1 - August 31, 2004
Alon Harel (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
Our research group will explore the following topics:
- The religious aspects of legal systems.
- Conceptions of secularism, the specificity of Indian secularism, and the extent to which secularism might be considered a Western, Christian doctrine.
- Global justice, and caution in the attempts to extend the principles of distributive justice to the global sphere.
- Establishing universal features of criminal law that would be applied in the International Criminal Court and other international tribunals.
- Issues of political import and relevance to Israeli society.
- The relations between values and rights in the constitutional context.
- An analysis of the later drafts of the Israeli Declaration of Independence, drafted over the months April and May of 1948.